If you test or repair electrical or electronic equipment. a variable auto-transformer ("Variac" ) is a valuable addition to your test bench. A "must have" for electricians & electrical contractors.
Variacs SES can supply:
- Single phase bench or panel style up to 28a
- Three phase bench style up to 28a
- Motorised single & three phase variacs up to 28a
- Metered (digital or analogue) variacs - 10a rated
Applications for VARIACS include:
- Control of AC voltage & current for testing
- Voltage & current control for rectifiers (as used in electro-plating & precious metal recovery)
- Motor speed control
- Lighting & heating control
- Appliance testing - allows gradual voltage increase
- Over and Under voltage testing
- Panel or Bench mountable voltage control
- Motorised control of voltage & current
Advantages of SES variable auto-transformers (Variacs) over other control systems:
- Most sizes available within days
- Robust construction
- Clean sinusoidal waveform
- Smooth control throughout range
- Low load regulation
- Linear output - unlike solid state dimmers
- Extremely low field - unlike TRIAC control which can result in waveform distortion & harmonics.
SES can supply your needs from our wide range of single phase & three phase variacs.
Panel mountable or bench types are available in a wide range of currents from 1A to 28A (larger units may be arranged if required).
Variacs are useful to prevent damage to equipment which may result from direct connection to the mains supply. Using a variable auto-transformer, you can slowly raise & lower the input mains voltage when testing electrical equipment.
Variacs also provide a simple & robust method of adjusting voltages - on hot-wire equipment, plating equipment etc.
It should be noted that a variac, being an auto-transformer, is a single winding transformer, so does not provide isolation from the mains.
A variac can be used to control the primary of an isolating transformer, thus providing isolation from the mains. This can be particularly useful for controlling low & extra-low voltages.
To Know about Variable Transformer Please click here