The molecule structure of P.E.T.P can be produced either as an amorphous or semi-crystalline thermoplastic. The amorphous type is crystal clear with lower mechanical stability and inferior sliding properties.
Sustadur® is a semi-crystalline type which has a higher level of hardness, rigidity and stability with excellent sliding properties and low sliding abrasion. Because of its good creep resistance, low level of moisture absorption and excellent dimensional stability, Sustadur® is ideally suited for complex parts with the highest demands on dimensional stability and surface finish.
The wear resistance and sliding properties of Sustadur® - TF have been improved, due to a much lower coefficient of friction, compared to pure P.E.T.P by adding a special homogenously distributed solid lubricating agent.
A very low rate of thermal expansion makes Sustadur® an excellent choice for close tolerance parts and together with its high hardness makes it ideal for machining. It also a has a very useful working temperature of -30°C to +120°C.
• High stability
• High rigidity
• High hardness
• Low moisture absorption (at saturation 0.5%)
• Very good creep resistance
• Very high dimensional stability
• Very low sliding friction
• Very abrasion and wear resistance
• Resistant to hydrolysis (up to +70°C)
• Physiologically safe
Sustadur® has excellent sliding properties, very good wear resistance and, in combination with its other properties, is and excellent material for highly loaded sliding applications. This also applies tom
applications where high levels of humidity or wetness are expected.
The modified Sustadur® - TF is especially suitable for highly loaded sliding
- It has high mechanical strength, good resistance to creep, excellent dimensional stability, abrasion resistance and excellent sliding properties.
- Although it absorbs very little moisture Sustadur® does suffer from hydrolysis and should not be used in aqueous applications at temperatures above 70º C or steam environments.
- Sustadur® Polyethylene Terephthalate is FDA approved.
- It also has superior wear resistance compared to acetal copolymer and is an excellent candidate for close tolerance parts.
- Applications: Journal bearings, slide bearings, high pressure wear plates.
To download the Sustadur® Polyethylene Terephthalate data sheet please click here