Advantages of the Modular FAST wastewater treatment system include:
- Flexible application: designed for replacing existing septic or new on-site systems in municipal, private development and industrial process wastewater applications for superior BOD/TSS removal and nitrification/denitrification
- High level of bacterial concentration: Fixed activated sludge treatment maintains a high level of bacteria in the aeration zone, which provides stable operation, breaks down biodegradable constituents in the wastewater, and prevents bulking conditions and settling problems. Smaller required tank sizes for the same application is a cost-benefit passed onto the user
- Long sludge age: with high bacterial concentration, Modular FAST boasts a significantly longer sludge age than conventional plants. A long sludge age achieves nitrification and denitrification much easier, operated more effectively in cold climates, and less sludge is produced
- High quality effluent: high quality effluent from Modular FAST extends leach field life (because of the low solids carry-over) and can minimise the leach field land area required. Its clear effluent also makes the system ideal for pre-treatment to aeration ponds, lagoons and constructed wetlands. No clarifier is required for subsurface discharge applications
- High resistance to hydraulic and organic shock loads: because the bacteria are attached to the FAST media in the aeration zone, the system prevents washout of bacteria, enabling Modular FAST to endure peak or spike flow conditions.
- Low energy requirements: Modular FAST systems contain only one moving part that requires electricity: the air blower