The VBOX3i Dual Antenna RLVB3iSL is an RTK enabled version of the VBOX 3i Dual Antenna (VB3iSL) which can be used in conjunction with an RTK differential Base Station to obtain centimeter level positioning accuracy combined with all of the advantages of a twin antenna GPS setup with GLONASS satellite tracking.
This is our top-of-the-range VBOX data logger and can be used in any number of vehicle tests where positional accuracy and repeatability are of the utmost importance.
How It Works
For tests where positional accuracy is of key importance, like lane departure testing, distance to a fixed object, or precise mapping, the VB3iSLR offers industry-leading 2cm positional accuracy, in real time, at 100Hz!
VBOX Dual Antenna RTK is the key component of the Racelogic ADAS Testing systems for measuring vehicle separation, time to collision, position within a lane, and more to 2cm precision.
Utilising two GPS/GLONASS antennas, the VBOX3i Dual Antenna RLVB3iSL RTK measures all of the normal VBOX GPS parameters, plus the azimuth and elevation between the antennas, i.e. the direction the antennas are pointing, and the angle between them measured from the horizontal. This allows the unit to measure slip angle, and also pitch angle (or roll angle depending on how the antennas are mounted), all at 100Hz.
Both the VBOX and the Base Station track the Russian GLONASS range of navigation satellites as well as the normal GPS constellation, using almost twice as many measurements for accurate results and reception in areas of poor satellite visibility. Read more on VBOX GPS accuracy.
VBOX3i Dual Antenna RLVB3iSL RTK comes with a VBOX Manager, a display enabling you to change the dynamic modes and filter settings, show real time graphs of speed against time, set up slip angle data and calculate antenna locations.
A Dual Antenna Mounting Pole (needs to be ordered separately) ensures optimum antenna separation and the most accurate attitude measurement.
WHY DO TEST ENGINEERS CHOOSE VBOX?
The main reason test engineers choose to use a VBOX in their testing is the high level of accuracy and repeatability of results.
VBOX3i Dual Antenna will report distance within ±2-3cm, on every test, and the average comes out to within less than 1cm.
Brake distance accuracy is equally impressive. Using a brake pedal mounted trigger input, VBOX3i Dual Antenna will measure braking distance to within ±1.8cm. Additionally it will measure pitch angle with an accuracy of less than 0.028° rms at 2.5m antenna separation.
VB3iSL is especially appealing to ESC test engineers due to the measurement of body angle and yaw rate at 100Hz – measuring subtle changes in vehicle dynamics at high accuracy.
The system is simple and quick to install. Along with the user friendly and powerful VBOX Tools analysis software this means less set-up and post processing time.
The VBOX Tools software analysis package allows you to carry out sophisticated tests in both real time and post processing. All parameters can be viewed in a customisable graph, and the data can be scanned, analysed and manipulated using the powerful Report Generator function.
There are a number of standard test configurations which can be loaded into the software with one button click:
- Brake testing – Using a brake pedal mounted trigger input, VB3iSL will measure braking distance to within ±1.8cm.
- Performance testing – This unit is perfect for all variations of performance testing, the accuracy and quick response of the 100Hz unit gives very repeatable and accurate results.
- Acceleration Testing – instantly view speed versus time & distance tables
- Circuit testing – extract and analyse lap information
- Dynamic Tests – Slip and pitch angles updated at 100Hz alongside speed, distance and acceleration
- Steady State Cornering – Slip angle without any drift or correction over time
- Trailer Angles – Measure relative angles between two fixed bodies (two systems needed)
We also offer dedicated software solutions for a number of specialised tests such as:
- Lane Change
- Centreline Deviation
And we offer complete packages of hardware for specific vehicle tests:
- Test and Validation of Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS)
- Lane Departure Warning – 2cm accuracy combined with calibrated Video overlay
- Active Cruise Control – 2cm vehicle to vehicle accuracy
- Collision Avoidance Systems – vehicle to point, vehicle to vehicle
- Blind Spot Detection – calibrated Video Overlay
The accuracy of the slip angle and pitch angle depend on the separation of the antennas and the quality of the antennas which are used.
The more widely spaced the antennas are, the better the accuracy you will achieve. The accuracies quoted below are for open field conditions.